Re: killing processes owned by others with kill.exe

On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 05:40:33PM -0500, Rob S.i.k.l.o.s wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've noticed that /bin/kill.exe is unable to kill processes that are run as
> another user (e.g. SYSTEM) (even with -f).
>
> Is this intentional?

Non privileged users can only kill their own processes.
SYSTEM and members of the Administrators group can kill any Cygwin
process.

There was a bug at some point where Cygwin processes launched directly
from Windows (e.g. cygrunsrv) could not be killed by Administrators,
but that should be fixed by now, at least in snapshots. It was caused
because of the Windows default permissions on processes.

Pierre