Re: Any fix/work-around for post-install hang problem, yet? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 13:31:11 -0700
From: Glenn Murray <gmurray@mines.edu>
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Cc: mrobbert@mines.edu
Subject: Re: Any fix/work-around for post-install hang problem, yet?

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Mar 2004, Glenn Murray wrote:

> > > Glenn,
> > >
> > > Please review

> > > and follow the directions there to tell us about your system.  Also,
> > > please attach /var/log/setup.log.full from a setup session where
> > > postinstall scripts hung (note: that file is overwritten every time you
> > > run setup, and you may need to kill the hung bash/sh processes in the task
> > > manager to allow setup to complete).
> > >       Igor
> > > P.S. "flaky" is a very vague description.  Concrete examples that would
> > > allow others to reproduce the problem, along with the information from the
> > > problem reporting guidelines above, would be much more helpful.
> >
> > On Wed, 3 Mar 2004, Larry Hall wrote:
> >
> > > There was lots of talk in the email archives about this issue and lots
> > > of work on it too.  Did you see:
> > >
> > >   <http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-10/msg01166.html>
> > >
> > > ?
> > >
> > > If this isn't your solution, please provide some information on what's
> > > hanging and what you have installed, a la:

> > > --
> >
> > Igor and Larry,
> >
> > Thanks for the responses.  I reproduce this problem by running
> > setup.exe and it hangs every time, like I said.  I am running the
> > most recent versions of everything, like I said (setup says
> > cygwin 1.5.7-1).  As I said, it happens on WinXP boxes;  I
> > haven't seen it on my Win2K boxes.  I've attached setup.log.
> >
> > Yes, I saw http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-10/msg01166.html
> > when I was browsing the archives.
> >
> > Michael Robbert (from my first referenced thread) has just told
> > me he might have the time to work on this;  I do not.  I was just
> > hoping to get lucky and find a quick fix.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Glenn
>
> Glenn,
>
> You have not read either my message or the documentation that both Larry
> and I pointed you at carefully enough.  In my message, I requested the
> "/var/log/setup.log.full" (note the ".full") from a failed session.  You
> have attached the /var/log/setup.log file.  The Cygwin problem reporting
> guidelines request that you attach the output of "cygcheck -svr" to your
> message, which you have not done.  Please take the time to read the
> relevant instructions and supply enough information to help us track down
> your problem.  Letting us know exactly which postinstall scripts hang
> would also be helpful.
>
> > P.S. "Flaky" is a vague description, but accurate.  When running
> > cygwin.bat sometimes the bash prompt appears, sometimes not,
> > sometimes it opens in /usr/bin, sometimes in $HOME, sometimes ssh
> > works, sometimes it doesn't; etc.  Setup.exe has put the system
> > into an unstable (i.e., flaky) state.
>
> Well, I suspect most of the problems are due to the fact that postinstall
> scripts didn't run on your system.  A package's installation is not valid
> until its postinstall script has run, so the above is no surprise.  Once
> [...]

Igor,

You couldn't be more wrong, I read it all.  It was really not my
intent to post a bug here, but to ask if there was a fix for a
bug already posted.  Anyway, I attached the requested files.  I
communicated with Michael Robbert about this, but he doesn't seem
interested in pursuing it---union rules or something.

Good luck,
Glenn

Actually, I tried to send them and got:

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at sources.redhat.com.
I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the
following addresses.
This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't
work out.

<cygwin@cygwin.com>:
ezmlm-reject: fatal: Sorry, I don't accept messages larger
than 100000 bytes (#5.2.3)

--- Enclosed are the original headers of the message.

    [ Part 2: "Included Message" ]