tetex (latex) permission problem on NT

Dear All,

I could not find any reference to this anywhere, so
FYI or maybe for the FAQ:

Running Cygwin 1.5.7-1 on XP professional, any attempt
to run latex produced an immediate permission error on
texmf.cnf ('cannot access', if I recall well). I
noticed that some of the files in the texmf subdir
have a  'group' property of Users, other of 'None'
(which is everyone, afaik).

I logged in to XP as Admin and recursively allowed
Users access to files/directories under texmf. This
solved the problem.

I think my problem was related to the fact that my
login is domain controlled (ie not local to the
machine). This renders me a member of the group Users,
who don't have access to all files in the texmf
directory.

I am not exactly an expert on the confusing topic of
NT vs unix vs cygwin permissions, so correct me if
what I did is overkill.

CHeers,
Dirk