using shared libraries w/o cygwin

Hi.  I've got a port of objcopy that I'd like to run on Windows systems.
I'd rather not have to install cygwin on the machine that
I'm going to be running this tool on.

The problem I'm having is that whenever I run my program on a file, it
appears to have a STACK_VIOLATION on a call to malloc.
It works just fine under Linux, under cygwin, and can print the usage
statement and things like that under "DOS",
but crashes in DOS whenever I actually pass it a data file.

So far, the only explanation I can come up with is that there's some sort of
failure during the dynamic libraries.  Is there any way I can
setup a DOS environment to make it run?  I tried statically linking in bfd,
but that didn't seem to the problem either.  Could this be caused
by something else?

James