Re: using shared libraries w/o cygwin

At 07:35 PM 3/9/2004, you wrote:
>Hi.  I've got a port of objcopy that I'd like to run on Windows systems.
>I'd rather not have to install cygwin on the machine that
>I'm going to be running this tool on.
>
>The problem I'm having is that whenever I run my program on a file, it
>appears to have a STACK_VIOLATION on a call to malloc.
>It works just fine under Linux, under cygwin, and can print the usage
>statement and things like that under "DOS",
>but crashes in DOS whenever I actually pass it a data file.
>
>So far, the only explanation I can come up with is that there's some sort of
>failure during the dynamic libraries.  Is there any way I can
>setup a DOS environment to make it run?  I tried statically linking in bfd,
>but that didn't seem to the problem either.  Could this be caused
>by something else?

The 'objcopy' that comes with the 'binutils' package works fine when
invoked directly from a DOS prompt (outside of a Cygwin shell).  Of course,
that one comes with Cygwin and links to cygwin1.dll.  If you don't want
to have to install Cygwin or manage a local copy of cygwin1.dll on your
target systems, then this isn't an option for you.  However, if you're
using a custom built version of 'objcopy' that doesn't use cygwin1.dll,
then the question is really off-topic for this list.  You'll need to
debug the problem yourself. Sorry.

Holliston, MA 01746