Re: cygutils - mkshortcut - Patch for --desc option for description/tooltip text - Needed for new Cygwin/X package

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
On Wed, 10 Mar 2004, Harold L Hunt II wrote:

Attached is a patch to mkshortcut to allow it to take a [-d|--desc] DESC
option that specifies the text of the description (tooltip text) for the
shortcut.  If -d|--desc is not specified, then the previous behavior of
setting the description to the POSIX path to the application is used.

I have build tested and run tested the attached patch.

I need this patch for a replacement for the XFree86-bin-icons package.
I already have the new package in hand, but I need this new
functionality in order for the shortcuts to have meaningful names and
descriptions.

I'll let Joshua make the call on this; if he says "go" then I'll put it in and release a new cygutils as quickly as I can.

Umm, don't the symbolic links in Cygwin use the description field for the
link contents?

Perhaps, but it doesn't matter. mkshortcut is for creating Windows-style shortcuts. And Windows-style shortcuts put "descriptions" in the desc field.

--
Chuck