Re: cygwin sshd / using USB ports (TCP forwarding over USB)

 Hi,

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 Brian wrote:

> cygwin-user@ied.com wrote:
>
> >   I was wondering whether there is a way to get cygwin apps
> > to use USB ports.
> >
> >   I have two Windows XP computers I need to hookup. On the
> > "server" (which has connectivity to internet) I don't have
> > admin rights, so I can't setup IPs. I can open TCP ports on
> > localhsot as a user, though, and I can plug stuff into USB
> > ports.
> >
> >   As worst-case scenario, I might be able to convert the
> > other machine (the "client") into a Linux box - would that
> > help ?
> >
> >   I was hoping to do TCP-port forwarding using an ssh/sshd
> > over a USB port. (Essentially I was hoping to get ssh/sshd
> > to open the USB as a tty - I guess.)
> >
> >   Any ideas on how could I port-forward over USB (Even if
> > without SSH) ?
>
> I have never heard of anyone implementing TCP/IP directly
> over USB, I'm not even sure it's possible -- certainly not
> with Cygwin.

  as I mentioned, I cannot setup IPs, so I'm trying to
*avoid* using TCP/IP directly over USB. That's where sshd
comes - sshd doesn't need IP - it can listen for an SSH
connection on a serial port under regular Unix. So I'm
asking whether it can listen in a serial port under Cygwin
too, and whether someone knows how to turn a USB into a
sshd-listenable-serial-port(a tty).

> I don't even think you can connect two USB hosts directly
> like that because it's a master-slave kind of protocol.
>
> The closest you will come would be two USB ethernet
> adapters and a crossover cable.  But if you don't have
> administrator rights on one machine I doubt you'll be able
> to bring up another interface.

 that's the point - that's why I am not talking about
running TCP/IP over the USB - that's why wanted to run SSH
serial protocol over that USB.

> If you just want to transfer stuff,

 as I mentioned, I need to forward ports, not transfer
files.

> go down to Office Depot or whatever and get one of those
> "PC to PC backup" apps.  They let you move files between
> PCs using serial, parallel, or USB (with adaptor.)
>
> However, all of this discussion (except for ssh port
> forwarding) is very much off topic for this list.

  right. I'm trying to do port forwarding. And am asking
whether anyone has gotten to use USB as a serial port under
cygwin, which I think is appropriate for this list.

> Brian

  Thanks for your reply,

      John