Difference between just having cygwin1.dll and running under cygw in

What's the difference between running an executable in the cygwin
environment and running it in a Win2K DOS shell on the same machine(which
obviously has cygwin1.dll)?

As I mentioned in another thread of mine, I have a program(port of objcopy)
that I've compiled that runs just fine under cygwin, but crashes with a
stack violation whenever I run it under a DOS window on the same machine!

Obviously, I have done something in my code that has created a dependency on
the environment provided by cygwin, but I have been at a complete loss as to
discover what it is.  My makefile does the same thing as the objcopy
makefile, but the result of my compilation is something that only works
under cygwin.

I'd appreciate any ideas or pointers to information.