Re: Some help with [re-]installation please

On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 10:10:18AM -0600, Brian Ford wrote:
> > I had all the ftp'ed files left from installing cygwin previously
> > sitting in a directory on a networded drive, could I have used these
> > to re-install cygwin rather than downloading everything again?  If so,
> > how does one do it?
> >
> Yes.  Choose "Install from Local Directory" instead of "Install from
> Internet", and point setup there.  Keep in mind, however, you would have
> missed out on all the new and exciting updates :).
>
> > There are a number of different directories, one for each FTP site I've
> > used.
> >
> This is the part I am not sure how to handle.

setup.exe is very clever actually, it looks through *all* the ftp
directories and merges what you have into one list.

> > I really find the window where you select what to download, etc.
> > *very* confusing, some of the wording is very odd.  Two examples from
> > the User's Guide which I find difficult to understand are:-
> >
> >     You can change setup.exe's view style, which is helpful if you know
> >     the name of a package you want to install but not which category it is
> >     in. Click on the View button and it will rotate between Category (the
> >     default), Full (all packages), and Partial (only packages to be
> >     upgraded). If you are familiar with Unix, you will probably want to at
> >     east glance through the Full listing for your favorite tools.
> >
> > So what does 'Partial' mean?  I can see that Category means all
> > packages sorted into types, Full means all in alphabetical order but
> > what does Partial mean?  Does it mean only display packages that I've
> > got already?
> >
> I found it confusing at first too :).

It also gives you 'Not installed' which is what I want as it indicates
the packages that are downloaded in the local cache but not installed.
Just what I need for a re-install after losing my disk.

> >     Once you have an existing Cygwin installation, the setup.exe chooser
> >     is also used to manage your Cygwin installation. Information on
> >     installed packages is kept in the /etc/setup/ directory of your Cygwin
> >     installation; if setup.exe cannot find this directory it will act just
> >     like you had no Cygwin installation. If setup.exe finds a newer
> >     version of an installed package available, it will automatically mark
> >     it to be upgraded. To Uninstall, Reinstall, or get the Source for an
> >     existing package, click on Keep to toggle it. Also, to avoid the need
> >     to reboot after upgrading, make sure to close all Cygwin windows and
> >     stop all Cygwin processes before setup.exe begins to install the
> >     upgraded package.
> >
> > What on earth does "To Uninstall, Reinstall, or get the Source for an
> > existing package, click on Keep to toggle it.", mean???
> >
> Did you try it?  Clicking on Keep transitions it to Uninstall, Reinstall,
> Source, etc.

No it doesn't, this still confuses me, there are Keep, Prev, Curr and
Exp and you can select each but I have no idea what they do.  Clicking
on Keep doesn't toggle it, it just selects it.

--
Chris Green (chris@areti.co.uk)