Re: Problems running Jabberd v1.4.3 under cygwin v1.5.7 (or latest snapshot), and heap allocation error caused by fork()

On Sat, Mar 13, 2004 at 05:26:40PM -0500, Frank Seesink wrote:
>I see your name on the list quite a bit, and you seem to be one of the
>key guys "in the know."  Can you possibly explain to me what the error
>usually indicates?  I mean, beyond the rebaseall, what exactly are we
>talking about?  A forked process trying to get loaded into an
>overlapping spot in memory, something like that?  I'm really trying to
>_understand_ this, as I'd like to get to the bottom of it.

Cygwin is trying to allocate an internal heap, separate from the heap
used by a program's malloc, and is unable to do so, probably because
there is already memory being used where it wants to expand.  The heap
has to exist in the same place in parent and child so that data
structures can be shared so if it can't allocate the heap then the
program has to fail.

I don't know what is causing your problem.  I've previously asked that
someone step forward to help with debugging this problem when someone
else reported it with emacs but no one ever did.  Unfortunately, I don't
have the inclination to spend a lot of time debugging (or instructing
about debugging) this myself since I have other fires to fight and
paintings to paint.

The heap manipulation routines are in the file cygheap.cc.

cgf