From: Larry Hall [mailto:cygwin-lh@cygwin.com]
Sent: 14 March 2004 18:59
To: Ben Taylor; cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: Using gcc 3.3.3

At 09:50 AM 3/14/2004, you wrote:

Hi

I have got Cygwin running on my windows XP pc, using gcc 3.3.1.

I downloaded

gcc 3.3.3 release, and managed to build it, however when I tried

to compile

a windows application using it it compiled ok but gave a linker error
'couldn't find crt2.o'. It gave this error when I was trying to compile
with -mno-cygwin, which worked with gcc 3.3.1. I found that this

file was in

c:/cygwin/lib/mingw, but passing an option on to the linker such
as -Wl,"-Lc:/cygwin/lib/mingw" or other variations on this didn't work.
However when I copied the crt2.o file to c:/cygwin/lib, it

worked! But then

I read that -mno-cygwin wasn't included on gcc 3.3.3. So was

this a fluke?

Or is there a standard way to use gcc 3.3.3 on cygwin?

Also if I used g++ 3.3.3 to compile but g++ 3.3.1 that came with

cygwin to

link, it also works fine! Is it then actually using the benefits

of the more

modern version?

The gcc compiler suite for Cygwin contains patches to include the
'-mno-cygwin' switch.  Since gcc 3.3.3 isn't part of the Cygwin
distribution yet, you would need to patch your local version if
you want this functionality prior to it's inclusion in Cygwin.

Holliston, MA 01746