Re: cvs repository not found

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004, Calvin Smith wrote:

> I am not able to get CVS working via ssh. The following illustrates my
> problem.
>
> Logged into the server machine:
>
> Calvin@Kilimanjaro ~
> $ cvs -d /cvs checkout foo
> cvs checkout: Updating foo
> U foo/testing
>
> --
> Calvin@Kilimanjaro ~
> $ exit
> logout
> Connection to kilimanjaro closed.
> Calvin@Calvin ~/Desktop ~
>
> --
> And on my local machine:
>
> Calvin@Calvin ~/Desktop
> $ cvs -d :ext:Calvin@kilimanjaro:/cvs checkout foo
> Calvin@kilimanjaro's password:
> cvs [server aborted]: /cvs: no such repository
> Calvin@Calvin ~/Desktop
> $ ssh Calvin@kilimanjaro "ls -l /cvs"
> Calvin@kilimanjaro's password:
> total 0
> drwxrwxr-x+   3 Administ Users       12288 Mar 12 16:46 CVSROOT
> drwxrwxr-x+   2 Administ Users           0 Mar 15 14:39 foo
>
> As you can see, I can successfully check out when logged into the
> machine, and I can ssh in and do an 'ls', correctly seeing the content
> of the cvsroot, and the foo module, but for some reason CVS and SSH
> aren't playing well together.
>
> Any ideas??
> thanks,
> calvin

Are you running Cygwin's ssh and cvs (i.e., "type -a cvs ssh")?  Is your
CVS_RSH set correctly?  What are the contents of your ~/.cvsrc?  What are
the contents of ~/.ssh/config?  What is the shell of Calvin@kilimanjaro
set to (in /etc/passwd on kilimanjaro)?

Next step is to try actually executing "cvs server" via ssh.  Run "echo -e
'Root /cvs\nnoop' | cvs server" from kilimanjaro first, and then from
Calvin via ssh -- make sure you get the same response from both.  If that
response is "E Cannot access /cvs/CVSROOT\nerror ...", then see what the
"error" line says.  If the response is "ok" instead, try playing with the
shell for Calvin on kilimanjaro to see what commands are actually sent
when executing the "cvs" command on the client...
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu