RE: Using gcc 3.3.3

Oh right! OK, sorry - I didn't know there was a mailing list. I was under
the impression that you just sent an email to cygwin and somebody at cygwin
who knew the works picked it up, and it went on the mailing list so it came
up in searches as a by-product of that. I thought that all message posters
got sent all the replies via email, rather than having a website that you
have to explicitly check.

I've seemingly successfully built gcc 3.3.3 with 3.3.2, which was built from
3.3.1. Doing 'make bootstrap' worked apart from when I tried to compile
3.3.3 with 3.3.1, which didn't work, which is interesting in that each one
can only 'give birth' to the next one, rather than skip one.

> Also, just in case it isn't clear, we will eventually be releasing gcc
> 3.3.3 (and even 3.4), too, so this exercise is pretty much academic.

Well, that is precisely why I am pursuing it, for academic interest. It's
not like I actually think that gcc 3.4 will produce so much better code than
3.3.1 for my game that I *need* to have it, but it's the challenge of
building it and letting it bootstrap itself that's the fun part of it, at
least at the moment anyway. So, while it might not be the typical
developer's prime convern, given that I do have this motive, is there any
particular configurational route you can suggest to me to enable me to jump
up the ladder and be able to build one of the 3.4 snapshots? for instance
snapshot 3.3-[yyyymmmdd] might be easily built from 3.3.3, which is then
used to build 3.4[yyyymmdd]  ??? I'm just eaten up by the fact that 'there's
something newer out there... they haven't been sitting on their arses, so
they must have been putting some more good into the thing!'

Hope this is clear, and sorry for any confusion and my ignorance of
linux-based issues.