         From: luke.kendall@cisra.canon.com.au
      Subject: cvs problem under cygwin, cvs documentation
         Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 12:11:58 +1100 (EST)
           To: info-cvs@gnu.org, cygwin@cygwin.com

Although we have a moderately good workaround (an old version of cvs
compiled up), we have a long-standing problem with cvs in Cygwin that
I'm  looking into finally.  We get responses like:

    $ /usr/bin/cvs update
    luke@cvs.research.canon.com.au's password:
    ' from cvs serverng: unrecognized response `ok
    cvs [update aborted]: received interrupt signal
    Killed by signal 2.

Which of course is newline conversion problems:

    $ /usr/bin/cvs update 2>&1 | od -c
    luke@cvs.research.canon.com.au's password:
    0000000   c   v   s       u   p   d   a   t   e   :       w   a   r   n
    0000020   i   n   g   :       u   n   r   e   c   o   g   n   i   z   e
    0000040   d       r   e   s   p   o   n   s   e       `   o   k  \r   '
    0000060       f   r   o   m       c   v   s       s   e   r   v   e   r

A message from 2002 to the cvs mailing list suggested using the access
method :server: instead of the default :ext:.  I added this to CVSROOT
like so:

    CVSROOT=:server:cvs.research.canon.com.au:/u/cvs

but that had no effect on existing checkouts because of the existing
CVS/Root file, but after editing that to insert the :server: at the
front:

    $ cat CVS/Root
    :server:cvs.research.canon.com.au:/u/cvs

I got this response:

    $ /usr/bin/cvs update
    cvs [update aborted]: the :server: access method is not supported by this port of CVS

Any suggestions?

I notice that none of the :ext: or :server: stuff is written up in the
CVS man page.  I'll have a read through the FAQ.  Erk.  Our local copy
is 1993.  Erk.  The CVS FAQ at http://ccvs.cvshome.org/fom//cache/1.html
doesn't appear to be available as a single file, and doesn't seem to be
as comprehensive as the old FAQ anyway.

http://www.cvshome.org/docs/#s3 points at the old CVS site, but the
good FAQ doesn't exist there either.  Oh well.

I suppose it's really a Cygwin problem, because a version someone once
compiled up here is okay.  I see it's just a client version, not a
client/server version.

Working version of cvs under Windows/Cygwin:

$ /opt/bin/cvs --version

    Concurrent Versions System (CVS) 1.10 `Halibut' (client)

    Copyright (c) 1989-1998 Brian Berliner, david d `zoo' zuhn,
                            Jeff Polk, and other authors

    CVS may be copied only under the terms of the GNU General Public License,
    a copy of which can be found with the CVS distribution kit.

    Specify the --help option for further information about CVS

Broken version of cvs under Windows/Cygwin:

    $ /usr/bin/cvs --version

    Concurrent Versions System (CVS) 1.11.6 (client/server)

    Copyright (c) 1989-2003 Brian Berliner, david d `zoo' zuhn,
                            Jeff Polk, and other authors

    CVS may be copied only under the terms of the GNU General Public License,
    a copy of which can be found with the CVS distribution kit.

    Specify the --help option for further information about CVS

Ah, one other difference is that our /opt/bin/cvs version does not
complain about CVSROOT starting with ":server:", so the real question
may be: why doesn't the Cygwin version include that?

luke