Problems with make on the latest Cygwin gmake

I just installed Cygwin from scratch and I'm having gnu make trouble.

Given this Makefile

A:
       find . -name xx \! -path \*foo\*

B:
       find . -name xx \! -path \*foo\* >&1

Notice that "make A" and "make B" are virtually identical.

$ make -f broke_make A find . -name xx \! -path \*foo\*
find: paths must precede expression
Usage: find [path...] [expression]
make: *** [A] Error 1

$ make -f broke_make B
find . -name xx \! -path \*foo\* >&1

After doing an strace, I noticed that B will invoke sh.exe and A will not. I also noticed that the "\!" for A does not turn into the "!" as in the B case when find.exe is exec()ed.

So, it seems like gmake has a problem with parsing the command line. This works fine on non cygwin machines with the same version of make.

Has anyone seen this before ?

I have earlier versions of Cygwin where this works fine.

If you need chgcheck output - here it is: http://www.makexs.com/cygcheck.out