RE: New Cygwin installation

  Hello.

> I updated my old cygwin installation with a newer one this
> week, I use cygwin in combination with a grafical development
> environment called Dev-Cpp.

  Never heard of it.

> In the old installation it was sufficient to set up the
> c-include paht with c:\cygwin\usr\include and the
> c++-includes with c:\cygwin\usr\include and c:\cygwin\usr\include\c++.
> But now there are a lot more directories so called
> ..\c++\3.3.1\backward and ..\c++\3.3.1\i686-pc-cygwin.
> So I want to know wich directories I have to enlist in the
> include section of my dev environment.

  The default search paths should be set up fine already, as long as  you
make sure to use gcc.exe for compiling C and g++.exe for compiling C++
files.  The only directories you should need to include in the dev
environment are those with your own application's headers.

> By now I have a misterious warning:
> >>2 C:\usr\include\c++\3.3.1\backward\backward_warning.h:32
> #warning This file includes at least one deprecated or
> antiquated header.
> Please consider using one of the 32 headers found in section
> 17.4.1.2 of the
> C++ standard. Examples include substituting the <X> header
> for the <X.h>
> C++ header
> for C++ includes, or <sstream> instead of the deprecated
> header <strstream.h>. To disable this warning use -Wno-deprecated.
> <<

  Doesn't seem mysterious to me, but then again English is my first
language.  It's telling you about the fact that the C++ standards committee
decided to change all the header file names a while ago, and the original
header names are all considered out-of-date now.

> The project I tried to compile compiled successfully with the
> old installation of cygwin.

  If you've been making your own include paths in the dev environment by
hand, you might well have got some directories in the wrong order and caused
this sort of error.  OTOH something could have changed in the C++ headers in
a backwardly incompatible way, and the warning is to let you know to modify
your code.  Let's take a look at your errors:

----snip----
g++.exe -D__DEBUG__ -c cpx_mon.cpp -o cpx_mon.o -I"C:/cygwin/usr/include"
-I"C:/cygwin/usr/include/c++"  -I"C:/cygwin/usr/include/c++/3.3.1/backward"
-I"C:/work/Sonstiges/priv/projekte/Software/include"   -ansi -g3
----snip----

  That's where you've tried to put your own include paths in there.  You've
most likely got them in the wrong order.  The backward compatibility dir
probably ought to be very last in the search order, but leave it to g++.exe,
which knows what order to put them in already - take a look at the output
from "g++ -print-search-dirs".  Take out all the include dirs except for
your own C:/work/Sonstiges/..... directory.

----snip----
In file included from /usr/include/c++/3.3.1/backward/strstream:51,
                 from
C:/work/Sonstiges/priv/projekte/Software/include/posix_terminal.h:21,
                 from cpx_mon.h:25,
                 from cpx_mon.cpp:9:
/usr/include/c++/3.3.1/backward/backward_warning.h:32:2: warning: #warning
This file includes at least one deprecated or antiquated header. Please
consider using one of the 32 headers found in section 17.4.1.2 of the C++
standard. Examples include substituting the <X> header for the <X.h> header
for C++ includes, or <sstream> instead of the deprecated header
<strstream.h>. To disable this warning use -Wno-deprecated.
In file included from cpx_mon.cpp:9:

  Possibly your posix_terminal.h has a "#include <strstream.h>" that should
be changed into "#include <sstream>", as the warning suggests; or perhaps
your posix_terminal.h is correct, but the wrong header file is being found
because you got the search path order messed up.  The problem should
disappear once you sort that out.

    cheers,
      DaveK