building a cygwin/mingw32 cross compiler

Hi
I am trying to build gcc using a 'make bootstrap' for the mingw32
environment, but when I try to build it using mingw it doesn't have bison
and flex installed, but cygwin does. So I'm going to try to build it *using*
cygwin, but *for* mingw. I suppose this is what you would call building a
cross-compiler?
I have got mingw and cygwin both installed on the system properly (apart
from mingw apparently hasn't got bison and flex, but cygwin has) and
cygwin's bin path is in the environment variables (mingw's isn't, as it's
gcc isn't being used - right..?)
I tried configuring with

sh configure --prefix=c:/gcc_34m --exec-prefix=c:/gcc_34m --enable-threads
--enable-optimize --build=i686-pc-cygwin --target=i686-pc-mingw32
--with-headers=c:/mingw/include

but when I did bootstrap, it fell over on a 'sed' command - the makefile had
called sed without specifying any input files or something but what that
means I don't know.

I know it can be done I'm just basically trying to figure out the correct
series of options in order to get it to build. Can anybody spot anything
wrong with this configuration or have any tricks that I'm overlooking that
can be used to accomplish this?

DISCLAIMER. The contents of this email and its attachments are intended
solely for the original recipients and express the views of the authors
and not necessarily the Company. If you are not the intended recipient
please delete without copying or forwarding and inform the sender that
you received it in error. Thank you.