Re: Cygwin shells exit immediately

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004, Aaron Humphrey wrote:

> Further (mostly negative) information on the problem:
>
> Nothing shows up in the Windows System Log when bash exits.
>
> Bash stays open to type maybe half a dozen characters, and can run, say,
> "ls" before exiting.
>
> A reboot didn't help.
>
> Another person on the same network has no problems with Cygwin, though
> he hasn't ugpraded to 1.5.8-1 yet.
>
> I noticed that in the cygcheck output I sent, all the DLLs seemed to
> show up twice, but that may just be because I ran it from C:\Cygwin\bin.
>
> --Aaron V. Humphrey
> Kakari Systems Ltd.

Aaron,

Did you try running bash non-interactively with a long-running command,
e.g., 'bash -c "sleep 20"'?  Does that work?  Does 'bash --norc -i' work?

Also, if vim works, try adding the following to your .bashrc:
set -o ignoreeof
to eliminate the possibility of stray EOFs being sent to bash...

If all else fails, there's always strace, but it will involve some effort
on your part to examine it and try to figure out why bash exits.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu