Re: cygwin gcc failure

Richard Campbell wrote:

The symptom is pretty straight forward, on a straight command line of:

gcc foo.c

I get a pop up and a system log message which says:

Application popup: cc1.exe - Application Error : The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000022). Click on OK to terminate the application.

Try running cc1.exe and see if you get something like:

c:\cygwin\bin> bash
     6 [main] ? 3816 init_cheap: Couldn't reserve space for cygwin's heap,
Win32 error 487
c:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe (3816): *** AllocationBase 0x0, BaseAddress
0x616E0000, RegionSize 0x1AA0000, State 0x10000

(replace bash with cc1)

This doesn't appear to be applicable. cc1.exe is buried in the gcc-lib structure (called by gcc), and it doesn't provide any further info other than what I've posted.

Additionally, MS seems to indicate that the actual message is some form of permision problem, but in typical MS fashion they aren't real specific on how to nail down exactly what is causing the problem.

I'm reluctant to apply a snapshot because the rest of cygwin appears to be working, and the idea of overlaying things isn't really appealling at the moment.

If anyone has suggestions on how to narrow the possible causes, I'm all ears (or eyes).

-H