Can't login to proftpd unless shell is running.

I have this very strange problem.

I am runing proftpd in standalone mode as a service registered with
cugrunsrv.  The service starts and runs fine when I reboot the system.
However I have found that I cannot login to through ftp unless I am running
a shell in cygwin.  If the shell isn't runnning I get the following:

Response: 220 ProFTPD 1.2.9 Server (ProFTPD Default Installation)
[my_computer]Command: USER my_win_username
Response: 331 Password required for my_win_username.
Command: PASS *******
Response: 530 Login incorrect.
Error: Unable to connect!

Now if I run cygwin then I can log in appropriately with now problems.  I
would like to be able to use proftpd without having a user logged on to the
system at all.  Any help woud be greatly appreciated.

** I am using the default basic configuration file for proftpd