Re: More on 'setup' fails and breaks pre-existing Cygwin installation: now have prompt, but it's ultra-high-response time.

Please also see the other e-mail of similar subject title that I just sent, with 'cygcheck.out' attached.
I did run

"c:\cygwin\bin\bash --norc"

After a couple minutes the command prompt gave me:

   C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32>c:\cygwin\bin\bash --norc
   bash-2.05b$

This command prompt cannot find any commands ('ls' is 'not found'). Also, after about five minutes from opening a Cygwin command prompt window, I do get a (ultra-high-response-time) prompt! ->

       TLSWE-LAPTOP-A0  Sun Mar 21 23:21:17
       ~/

Previously, I hadn't waited the full five minutes, thinking it was totally broken. The prompt however takes almost a full minute to respond to a simple 'ls -ail' command (when listing only about 30 files in a directory).

So, this installation is still not at all usable, and clearly the install problem needs to be fixed.

- Chris

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

Okay, I don't recall seeing the output of "cygcheck -svr" attached to any
of your messages, as requested in <http://cygwin.com/problems.html>.
Please *attach* the output rather than including it inline.  You should be
able to run cygcheck from a CMD prompt.

Did you try a clean install by moving your Cygwin root directory out of
the way?  Whether or not you're able to do this, and what exact errors you
get when doing this, might prove instructive...  FWIW, unless you have
non-standard mounts, you should be able to recover the original (albeit
non-working) installation by moving the old root directory back to
c:\cygwin...  But first things first -- we need to see the output of
"cygcheck -svr".

BTW, does running "c:\cygwin\bin\bash --norc" also result in no prompt?
If not, does that bash work normally (note that you'll need to explicitly
prepend "/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin" to your PATH before you'll be able
to run any commands)?
	Igor