RE: More on 'setup' fails and breaks pre-existing Cygwin installation: now have prompt, but it's ultra-high-response time.

  I notice also that there are already directories in Christopher's  path
called 'bin', 'x11', and 'mksnt'.  [ Light bulbs should be appearing in the
air above heads about now, upon seeing the dreaded letters 'm', 'k' and 's'
in that particular order..... ]

  This last one in particular makes me wonder if the Rational tools you have
installed maybe include or are based around the Mortice Kern Systems Unix
toolset.  It's a well-known problem that if you try and run cygwin while
having MKS tools in the $PATH they can sometimes clash.  I'd want to start a
dos command shell, then remove all the crud and set a minimal $PATH, and try
again: something like this at the command prompt might work...