Postgresql stopped working

I've got the latest cygwin (updated yesterday) on XP Pro, and I
installed PostgreSQL 7.4.1 about 2 weeks ago as a service.  It was
running nicely, but then it stopped over the weekend.  When I logged
into XP as the user postgres to troubleshoot it, I found that XP had
expired my old password.

Now I've forced XP to leave that password alone, but I still can't quite
make PostgreSQL run.  When I try psql <dbname> running as me (which used
to work), I get

psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory

I logged on as postgres and tried running

postmaster -D /var/postgresql/data

and got

LOG: shmdt(0xf90000) failed: Invalid argument
LOG: database system wash shut down at 2004-03-21 09:04:56 PST
LOG: checkpoint record is at 0/1DB0E00
LOG: redo record is at 0/1DB0E00; undo record is at 0/0; shutdown TRUE
LOG: next transaction ID: 3987; next OID: 18937
LOG: database system is ready

Task manager showed 3 copies of postmaster running IIRC.

If I tried to start postmaster as a service, I got a Windows error 5
(logon failure).

What's the best thing to do?  I have a small database, and it is backed
up, so I guess I could uninstall and reinstall.  I suspect the
postmaster is simply confused about passwords; is there a way to  tell
it the new password without reinitializing the database files?

It's possible I've simply forgotten how to restart the postmaster,
although I've got the readme in /usr/share/doc/Cygwin.  Tips and hints
are welcome.

Thanks,

Bill Harris
--
Bill Harris                                  3217 102nd Place SE
Facilitated Systems                          Everett, WA 98208 USA