Re: sshd debugging

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004, David Corbin wrote:

> On Tuesday 23 March 2004 07:26, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > On Mar 23 07:16, David Corbin wrote:
> > > I have sshd up and running as a service.  I can ssh into the box if I
> > > type a password, but I do have a public-key/private-key installed that it
> > > doesn't seem to recognize.  (If you want to recommend a solution to this
> > > problem, please do - it's the real problem).
> >
> > The keys are probably not readable by SYSTEM.  Use ssh-user-config as
> > the affected user.  The script sets the permissions correctly.
>
> Thanks.  That corrected it.  What does it really mean to be readble by
> "SYSTEM"?  I'm fairly savy about unix/windows security, but I'm not sure I
> have a clue how cygwin manages things.

"SYSTEM" is a username.  Sort of like "root" in Unix, but, unlike root,
not able to read the files that don't have appropriate ACLs (it *is* able
to add appropriate permissions if necessary, and to become any other user,
but until it "invokes" these special powers, it's just like any other
user).  Does that help?
	Igor
P.S. None of my explanation is actually Cygwin-specific.  For more
information, read <http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html>.
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu