Re: "test -c com1" hangs on some WinXP systems

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004, Curt, WE7U wrote:

> Our application runs on multiple OS'es.  A few of our WinXP users
> (and perhaps Win2k, can't remember) have had "if test -c com1" hang
> during our configure stage.
>
> We've already figured out that we should be using "/dev/ttyS0"
> instead of "com1", and have switched to that.  Because of the hang
> we're trying "if test -d /proc/registry as the test".  If
> /proc/registry is found, we skip the file test for the serial device
> on Cygwin boxes, thereby avoiding the hang.
>
> Excerpt (the version that hangs sometimes):
>

>   AC_DEFUN([XASTIR_DETECT_DEVICES],
>   [
>   AC_MSG_CHECKING([for devices])
>   if test -c com1 ; then
>   ac_tnc_port=com1
>   ac_gps_port=com2
>   elif test -c /dev/cuaa0 ; then
>   ac_tnc_port=/dev/cuaa0
>   ac_gps_port=/dev/cuaa1
>

> New improved version:
>

>   AC_DEFUN([XASTIR_DETECT_DEVICES],
>   [
>   AC_MSG_CHECKING([for devices])
>   if test -d /proc/registry ; then
>   ac_tnc_port=/dev/ttyS0
>   ac_gps_port=/dev/ttyS1
>   elif test -c /dev/cuaa0 ; then
>   ac_tnc_port=/dev/cuaa0
>   ac_gps_port=/dev/cuaa1
>

> Should "if test -c com1" or "if test -c /dev/ttyS0" work on Cygwin
> across all Windows platforms it supports?
>
> We'd rather do "if test -c /dev/ttyS0" if possible, so that it's
> similar across all platforms we support.

I should have completed more of the function above, as it's possible
that it is one of the other tests that hangs on Cygwin/WinXP.
Unlikely, but possible.  I expect it hangs on the first test for
"com1".  Tack the following code onto the end of either code example
above:

  elif test -c /dev/ttyS0 ; then
  ac_tnc_port=/dev/ttyS0
  ac_gps_port=/dev/ttyS1