bash bad interpreter - a new twist!

Hi

I seem to have an intermittant problem with bash that I cannot work out---in which a script usually works fine, but sometimes in the same session attempting to run it gives the bash message: bad interpreter.

I'm using cygwin (september 2003 build) and ActiveState perl. To connect ActiveState into cygwin I use a proxy /usr/local/bin/perl bourne shell script that essentially transalates the paths (cygpath -w) and delegates to the ActiveState perl.exe binary. Given the following foobar script:

#!/usr/local/bin/perl -w
print "foobar world\n";

When I invoke foobar from the bash command line, nine times out of ten it works. However, sometimes I get the bash error:

bash: /cygdrive/f/home/evad/bin/foobar: /usr/local/bin/perl: bad interpreter: No such file or directory

If I immediately type the command again it will work, but given enough time/iterations it will fail again. One thing to notice ... each time I create a new shell window it always fails the first time I issue the command.

I'd appreciate some ideas as right now I'm quite puzzled.

Thanks

-- dave mallon