RE: Failure of 'setup.exe': Rational Rose & path stuff, blue screen of death.

  You didn't address the other settings I mentioned, such as

SHELL = `C:\PROGRA~1\RATIONAL\RATION~1\NUTCROOT\mksnt\sh.exe'
TERM = `nutc'
TERMCAP = `C:\PROGRA~1\RATIONAL\RATION~1\NUTCROOT\etc\termcap'
TERMINFO = `C:\PROGRA~1\RATIONAL\RATION~1\NUTCROOT\usr\lib\terminfo'

all of which are going to confuse cygwin as well.

> After 'setup.exe''s usual soft hang here, I clicked cancel.
> There was nothing to install in the setup, and 'setup'
> notified me of this.  Then the screen went black and flashed
> a blue screen of death and my machine went down.  I rebooted
> and all was fine, but still same Cygwin performance problem
> (3 minutes between commands).
>
>  - CB

Your problem is almost certainly not cygwin related then; there's no way any
user-mode program should cause a BSoD.  You may have a faulty network card
driver.  Or are you by any chance running Novell Netware?  That's been known
to interact badly with cygwin in the past as well.  *Particularly* if a
netware-mounted drive is in $PATH.

    cheers,
      DaveK