Re: "test -c com1" hangs on some WinXP systems

At 01:28 AM 3/25/2004, you wrote:
>On Wed, 24 Mar 2004, Larry Hall wrote:
>
>> "com" is a reserved name in Windows.  It's best to steer clear of it in
>> any context you can.  You may be catching it in your "if test -c com1"
>> version.
>
>We'd _love_ to steer clear of it, particularly since /dev/ttyS0
>works for two of our targeted systems.
>
>We need to know that the "if test -c /dev/ttyS0" will work on all
>Cygwin boxes from Win95 through WinXP.  The test for "com1" was
>working just fine except for very recently on a few WinXP systems
>(but appears to work on other WinXP boxes).
>
>I'm delaying a new release and staying with the "if test -d
>/proc/registry" bit until we can get that question answered.  That
>last works but it's ugly.

You're welcome to peruse the Cygwin DLL code for yourself but I see nothing
that suggests that /dev/ttyS* is Windows version specific.  I can't promise
that there aren't bugs that will cause you problems on some Windows O/S
version versus another but AFAICS /dev/ttyS* is just a direct mapping to
//./com*.  So they look synonymous to me under the covers.

Holliston, MA 01746