Re: cygwin under Wine?

On Fri, Mar 26, 2004 at 12:37:22AM -0500, Thomas L Roche wrote:
>On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 07:33:52PM -0500, Thomas L Roche wrote:
>>Can Cygwin currently run under Wine?
>
>Christopher Faylor Thu, 25 Mar 2004 21:56:35 -0500
>>1) Why not *try* running cygwin under Wine? The only way to know for
>>   sure is to actually try it anyway.
>
>Yeah, and the only way "to know for sure" that putting your hand on a
>hot stove will burn it is to "actually try" that, also.

I'm talking about installing and running Wine, copying cygwin1.dll and
and, say, ls.exe to it, and seeing if ls.exe worked, then moving on from
there with more tests.  It would be a good learning experience if you
are considering using Wine.  This would even serve as an initial smoke
test to see if it was worthwhile without the necessity of trusting some
random email voice which says "Wine not work" or "Wine work good".

>> 2) Please don't use this list as a fact gathering mechanism for your
>>    internal requirements.
>
>Are you just being "mean" (viz the acronym--other epithets come to
>mind) for the helluvit? IMHO asking "Can Cygwin do X," after making a
>reasonable FAQ-search, is entirely appropriate on this list.

Ok.  You're right.  Point taken.  Sorry.

>>>If Cygwin would run under Wine, I'd be a very happy person, we
>>>wouldn't need real Windows machines for builds, and we could consign
>>>all our Windows build machines, their ITSC compliance, and the
>>>continual stream of updates and security fixes to the deepest pits
>>>of hell.
>>
>> 3) As Larry noted, you could use a cross-compiler. I know that you
>>    maintain that you would do testing under Wine but it seems rather
>>    foolhardy to do all of your testing on an emaulator
>
>Do you grasp the concept of BVT? It's a small subset of testing, run
>on a build box, to give immediate feedback regarding the utility of a
>build. (But now that I think about it, given the havoc wrought by some
>recent Cygwin builds, perhaps the concept of BVT _is_ new to you.)

The message you quoted mentioned essentially throwing away all of your
Windows build machines.  I guess I thought that the Windows build
machines were being used to actually build/test final product but that
was naive of me.  Of course, they could also be used just for standard
edit/build/test scenarios.  So, I actually can see why Wine could be
useful in that scenario, although I've never seen a need for it.

So, that's a "Nevermind" for two out of three of my enumerated points.

cgf