Re: popups upon library errors.

On Mar 25 19:32, Edward S. Peschko wrote:
> After trying to compile cygwin from scratch, I've come to the conclusion that
> opening up popup windows that require human interaction for system events is
> well-nigh intolerable, and I'm hoping that something can be done to fix it.
>
> Figure - I'm installing gettext, and configure is doing a bunch of checks
> on my system.  It tries to find libICE, which is not installed, and isn't
> even a fatal error in configuring gettext.
>
> So - instead of going on to the next statement silently, I get a button
> that I need to press in order to continue telling me of my 'error'. And hence
> stopping the configure process in its middle.

Off the top of my head I would say, that's a problem in your environment.
When the configury tests for existing libraries, it typically does that
by trying to build a test application which uses a function from that
lib.  A library might consist of up to three files, a static lib, an
import library for dynamic linking, and a DLL.  By default, ld tries to
link against the import library, so that the resulting application would
use the DLL when started.

On your system, the DLL is missing (or missing in $PATH, that's basically
the same) but for some reason the import library exists.  Linking the test
application therefore succeeds, but the resulting application can't run,
obviously.

So, to rectify this problem, you should remove the import library from
your system.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.