Re: suid bit on executables?

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004, Joshua Daniel Franklin wrote:

> > > I tried man and apropos, and found nothing for conin or conout,
> >
> > Technically, you should have been able to look at
> > <http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-specialnames.html> instead...  The
> > Cygwin User's Guide makes for wonderful and exciting bed-time reading. ;-)
> > However, the above document is strangely silent on the topic of
> > conin/conout...  As things stand now, looking at the Cygwin source is
> > probably your best bet.
>
> OK, there is now a more exhaustive list in the User's Guide.
> Feel free to correct.

Looks good.  I believe the socket devices are missing, though.

> I separated out /dev{comX,conin,conout,clipboard,windows} since they
> appear to be Cygwin-specific. A couple of others like /dev/dsp
> and /dev/ttym might be too, and is /dev/pipe different than on *nix?

/dev/dsp exists on most Linuxes, AFAICT.  I'll have to look at the
/dev/pipe* implementation, as I have no idea what those do.  Also, Linux
sometimes provides symlinks with more descriptive names (e.g., /dev/audio
pointing to /dev/dsp).

You might want to mention the script I posted in
<http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2004-01/msg00353.html>, right around
the line that says that "ls /dev" won't work...  The script also contains
a full list of devices, FWIW.

> Also, while I was "researching" this change I ran across this great
> reference page about devices in Cygwin (well, great if you read
> Japanese and still probably decent if you don't):
>
> <http://www.sixnine.net/cygwin/cygwin-je/devices.html>

Cool.

> It appears to be about..._Cygwin+Cygwin JE: Running a UNIX Environment with
> Windows_, published June 2003:
>
> <http://www.ascii.co.jp/english/books/detail/4-7561/4-7561-4305-9.html>
>
> So, if anyone on this list was hoping to write the first Cygwin
> book, it's too late! You can still write the first English one though.

Even cooler.  Unfortunately, both river and sea otters are taken for the
O'Reilly books (a river otter on "Java Network Programming", and a sea
otter on "Perl for System Administration", according to
<http://www.oreilly.com/animals.html>).
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/