Re: Fun with #! (aka shebang) and filenames ending in .exe

At 08:16 PM 3/27/2004, you wrote:
>Try this:
>cat > foo.sh <<EOF
>#!/bin/sh
>echo Howdy
>EOF
>chmod +x foo.sh
>./foo.sh
>mv foo.sh foo.exe
>./foo.exe
>
>The first foo.sh works fine.  The second... well, it's entertaining.
>I have to kill the window, ^C is ignored.

Well, ^C worked for me, though the terminal then would not respond to
any other input.  Maybe that's what you meant by "it's entertaining".

>Now, I know one shouldn't do nasty tricks like that, but
>I ran into it very innocently.  I was trying to make a distcc
>masquerade directory on cygwin; my technique has been to
>create shell scripts with the same name as the real app
>that set a few variables and run a different app with the
>original commandline as arguments.  On cygwin, the original
>app was named something.exe, so using my usual technique, I
>created a shell script named something.exe, and kerblooie!
>
>Anyway, it'll probably work just fine to name my shell script
>without the suffix, but I just wanted to send a postcard
>from filename hack hell :-)

Yes, this is a known issue.  It's the same old problem one would expect
to have on a system that relies on the filename to determine what it
should do with the file.  You'd see something similar with a .bat/.exe
file combination in Windows, unless I'm misinterpreting what you're
saying..

Holliston, MA 01746