Re: seeking for advice

At 04:29 PM 3/29/2004, you wrote:
>Suetlam Chung wrote:
>
>>Now I am thinking to use cygwin platfrom.Do you think
>>it would be wise to switch to this platform?
>
>Yes,

Now that's mean! ;-)

The answer really is, it depends.  It depends on what your goals are and
what you expect to get out of the compiler.  gcc/g++ are part of a great
suite of tools for building and debugging software.  But they aren't going
to solve your link problems for you.  If that's your main goal, then you're
out of luck.  If you want some free compiler tools and cross-platform
portability is of interest to you, then gcc/g++ is a good choice.  Whether
Cygwin's version is what you want or not, I can't say either.  If POSIX
compliance is important, then Cygwin's version is likely to be your best
bet.  Otherwise, you may prefer MinGW's version.  I think you need to look
at what your requirements and interests are.  The only thing anyone here
can tell you is that there are alternatives.  You need to investigate those
alternatives in light of your needs and see what best suits you.  Keep in
mind that this isn't a list that's here to help people determine their
needs or whether gcc/g++ is what they need.  It's a list to discuss Cygwin
topics.  So if you need newbie-style help on gcc/g++, you want to look for
a different forum.

HTH,

Holliston, MA 01746