timezone irregularity when Windows TZ is set to Indiana

If I have a Windows PC with the timezone set to "(GMT-05:00)Indiana(East)", date +%Z returns the timezone as "USEST". Is this designed or broken behavior?

If I set TZ to USEST date returns a GMT time. I've noticed that there is no zoneinfo package, but if I copy /usr/share/zoneinfo from a RHL system, and set the TZ env variable to 'America/Indianapolis' I get back EST as the timezone.

Where does the "USEST" come from? Is that a Windows-ism or something in Cygwin?

I'm using cygwin 1.5.7-1 on Windows XP SP 1 with all updates supplied.

Joseph