Re: popups upon library errors.

On Fri, Mar 26, 2004 at 10:12:05AM +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> Off the top of my head I would say, that's a problem in your environment.
> When the configury tests for existing libraries, it typically does that
> by trying to build a test application which uses a function from that
> lib.  A library might consist of up to three files, a static lib, an
> import library for dynamic linking, and a DLL.  By default, ld tries to
> link against the import library, so that the resulting application would
> use the DLL when started.
>
> On your system, the DLL is missing (or missing in $PATH, that's basically
> the same) but for some reason the import library exists.  Linking the test
> application therefore succeeds, but the resulting application can't run,
> obviously.
>
> So, to rectify this problem, you should remove the import library from
> your system.

yes, I realize that it is a problem with my environment - what I'm suggesting
is that no popups be created in response to the problem. That a text error is
generated.  This would vastly increase the robustness of the cygwin environment
- I simply cannot afford to have an interactive error come up during a batch
process, and hang there. It is not a question of specifics, its a question
of how to deal with a generic problem.

It reminds me of those popup errors you sometimes see at airports when windows
crashes on one of the terminals - what the hell good are they? people who
support these apps have to ping the app with another app to make sure it is up.
But of course this brings up the issue of pinging the app which pings the app, and
so one.

Anyways, to reproduce, the first one (wrt tar) had to do with permissions. If the
permissions on a dll are wrong, then I get a popup error #22.. I believe the
same thing happens with a generic gcc-3.3.1 install.

The second one happens with an install of gettext. To reproduce, simply unpackage,
patch, and run 'configure' on a standard out of the box install of cygwin.
configure will pause halfway through.

Ed