Re: need loadkeys --mktable under cygwin

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004, bertrand marquis wrote:

> Hello
>
>     i.m trying to build the kernel under cygwin with a cross compiler
> (host=cygwin target=i386-linux) and it seems that the kernel need the
> loadkeys program to be build. I have tried to find it but it seems that
> it don't exist.
>  Does anyone know a solution for that problem ?
>
> thanks

Yep.  It's called "porting". :-)
Seriously, though, looking at the man page for "loadkeys", it doesn't seem
too relevant for Cygwin.  In particular, the entry for "--mktable" says:

    CREATE KERNEL SOURCE TABLE
       If the -m (or --mktable ) option is given loadkeys  prints
       to  the  standard  output  a  file  that  may  be  used as
       /usr/src/linux/drivers/char/defkeymap.c,  specifying   the
       default key bindings for a kernel (and does not modify the
       current keymap).

Sounds like the kernel is not very cross-compilation friendly (i.e., it's
expected to be compiled *on a Linux machine*).  One solution is to create
a "loadkeys" script that accepts only one option ("--mktable") and prints
out pre-defined text...  Alternatively, contact the authors of the code
and notify them that their code doesn't build on Cygwin (and probably
won't on OpenBSD, either).
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/