com* vs /dev/ttyS*

Greetings

I am having trouble using the com1 port through Cygwin. I know this have
been posted earlier, but I havn't found a solution. I am using GDB to
communicate with an ARM7 evaluation board. I use the command "tar rdi com1"
to use com1 as communication port, whereafter the system hangs. I've also
tried /dev/ttyS0 and /dev/com1 which returns "Could not open device
"/dev/com1". Any ideas?

Regards

Martin Siegumfeldt