already registered with AC_CONFIG_FILES

Hi all!

I am trying to compile some software (VLC from the VideoLAN project) on W2K/CygWin. Unfortunately, during the config, I get an
error. I have already contacet the VideoLAN malining list, but to no avail. And I have contacted the automake guys as well. However,
I am trying to get help wherever I could possibly get help.

I am posting to this mailing list because this error happens on a W2K/CygWin platform. This is the error message I get:

' is already registered with AC_CONFIG_FILES.
autoconf/status.m4:848: AC_CONFIG_FILES is expanded from...
configure.ac:3814: the top level
Autom4te::FileUtils::xsystem(/usr/autotool/devel/share/autoconf/Autom4te/FileUtils.pm:29

Please note the single single-quote at the beginning of the error message. I have included the command line after the main body of
this post.

I cannot simply ignore this message, because the config process exits after this error.

I have searched the archives, and have actually found some posts from two years ago. It seems there was a bug in one of the
autotools, which was subsequently eliminated. However, I still do get the same kind of error.

Now, I don't assume anybody here to know the VideoLAN project. However, maybe somebody can tell me what the problem could be. I
mean, I'd be happy to know what the next step in the debugging process could be, since I'm kind of at a loss.

I also include an extract of the trace file after the command line.

Thanks a lot in advance.

-Mario

/usr/bin/m4 \
--nesting-limit=1024 \
--include=/usr/autotool/devel/share/autoconf \
--debug=aflq \
--fatal-warning \
--error-output=autom4te.cache/traces.0t \
--trace=AC_CONFIG_FILES \
--reload-state=/usr/autotool/devel/share/autoconf \
 \
/autoconf/autoconf.m4f \
aclocal.m4 \
configure.ac \
 \
</dev/null \
 \
>autom4te.cache/output.0t

trace file "traces.0t" (not very helpful I guess):

m4trace:configure.ac:3738: -1- AC_CONFIG_FILES([
  Makefile
  autotools/Makefile
  debian/Makefile
  doc/Makefile
  intl/Makefile
  ipkg/Makefile
  lib/Makefile
  modules/Makefile
  mozilla/Makefile
  m4/Makefile
  po/Makefile.in
  share/Makefile
  src/Makefile
])
m4trace:configure.ac:3814: -1- AC_CONFIG_FILES([
  modules/access/Makefile
  modules/access/dshow/Makefile
  modules/access/dvb/Makefile
  modules/access/dvd/Makefile
  modules/access/dvdplay/Makefile
  modules/access/dvdread/Makefile
  modules/access/mms/Makefile
  modules/access/pvr/Makefile
  modules/access/satellite/Makefile
  modules/access/v4l/Makefile
  modules/access/cdda/Makefile
  modules/access/vcd/Makefile
  modules/access/vcdx/Makefile
  modules/access_output/Makefile
  modules/audio_filter/Makefile
  modules/audio_filter/channel_mixer/Makefile
  modules/audio_filter/converter/Makefile
  modules/audio_filter/resampler/Makefile
  modules/audio_mixer/Makefile
  modules/audio_output/Makefile
  modules/codec/Makefile
  modules/codec/ffmpeg/Makefile
  modules/codec/ffmpeg/postprocessing/Makefile
  modules/codec/ogt/Makefile
  modules/codec/spudec/Makefile
  modules/control/Makefile
  modules/control/corba/Makefile
  modules/control/lirc/Makefile
  modules/control/rc/Makefile
  modules/demux/Makefile
  modules/demux/asf/Makefile
  modules/demux/avi/Makefile
  modules/demux/mp4/Makefile
  modules/demux/mpeg/Makefile
  modules/demux/playlist/Makefile
  modules/demux/util/Makefile
  modules/gui/Makefile
  modules/gui/beos/Makefile
  modules/gui/pda/Makefile
  modules/gui/gtk/Makefile
  modules/gui/gtk2/Makefile
  modules/gui/kde/Makefile
  modules/gui/macosx/Makefile
  modules/gui/ncurses/Makefile
  modules/gui/qnx/Makefile
  modules/gui/qt/Makefile
  modules/gui/skins/Makefile
  modules/gui/skins2/Makefile
  modules/gui/wxwindows/Makefile
  modules/misc/Makefile
  modules/misc/dummy/Makefile
  modules/misc/logger/Makefile
  modules/misc/memcpy/Makefile
  modules/misc/network/Makefile
  modules/misc/testsuite/Makefile
  modules/misc/playlist/Makefile
  modules/mux/Makefile
  modules/mux/mpeg/Makefile
  modules/packetizer/Makefile
  modules/stream_out/Makefile
  modules/stream_out/transrate/Makefile
  modules/video_chroma/Makefile
  modules/video_filter/Makefile
  modules/video_filter/deinterlace/Makefile
  modules/video_output/Makefile
  modules/video_output/directx/Makefile
  modules/video_output/mga/Makefile
  modules/video_output/qte/Makefile