Re: already registered with AC_CONFIG_FILES

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004, Mailing Lists wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> I am trying to compile some software (VLC from the VideoLAN project) on
> W2K/CygWin. Unfortunately, during the config, I get an error. I have
> already contacet the VideoLAN malining list, but to no avail. And I have
> contacted the automake guys as well. However, I am trying to get help
> wherever I could possibly get help.
>
> I am posting to this mailing list because this error happens on a
> W2K/CygWin platform. This is the error message I get:
>
> ' is already registered with AC_CONFIG_FILES.
> autoconf/status.m4:848: AC_CONFIG_FILES is expanded from...
> configure.ac:3814: the top level
> Autom4te::FileUtils::xsystem(/usr/autotool/devel/share/autoconf/Autom4te/FileUtils.pm:29
>
> Please note the single single-quote at the beginning of the error
> message. I have included the command line after the main body of this
> post.
>
> I cannot simply ignore this message, because the config process exits
> after this error.
>
> I have searched the archives, and have actually found some posts from
> two years ago. It seems there was a bug in one of the autotools, which
> was subsequently eliminated. However, I still do get the same kind of
> error.
>
> Now, I don't assume anybody here to know the VideoLAN project. However,
> maybe somebody can tell me what the problem could be. I mean, I'd be
> happy to know what the next step in the debugging process could be,
> since I'm kind of at a loss.
>
> I also include an extract of the trace file after the command line.
>
> Thanks a lot in advance.
> -Mario

Mario,

You really should have included the pertinent information about your
system, as requested in the Cygwin problem reporting guidelines at
<http://cygwin.com/problems.html>.  In particular, the mount type of the
directory you're running this from would have been interesting.  However,
I'll hazard a guess based on the information you did provide.

Have you tried saving the output to a file and looking at that file in an
editor to see what's actually produced, rather than what's seen on the
screen?  I bet you'd see some actual variable name in single quotes
followed by '\r' (0x0D).  Given that this error seems to come from a Perl
script, try setting PERLIO="crlf" in your environment, and see if this
fixes the problem.
	Igor
P.S. Please set your mailer to wrap long lines, otherwise the messages
look awful in the archives.  Thanks.
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu