Re: how to set up a "mounter" service? (network drives disconnecting)

Richard Duran wrote:

We've set up a cygrunsrv "mounter" service that maps network drives to Samba shares.

Are you sure? Because it seems like this mounter mounts Samba shares to drive letters...

We needed to do this to implement other cygrunsrv services that run from scripts sitting on these shares. The main problem is that throughout the day, connectivity to these shares is lost, and when I try to access these shares from Explorer, I'll see the following error message:

[DRIVE]:\ is not accessible.
The referenced account is currently locked out and may not be logged on to.

I'll check the account on the PDC only to find that it isn't locked

Have you reported this problem to Microsoft?

After a while, the maps will reconnect/reestablish/refresh/whatever.

Any one else seen this behavior?

Not much that Cygwin will be able to do if the problem is inherently in Windows to start with.

Also, this might be related, but Explorer alwas identifies these mounted drives as "network drive" instead of "<share> on 'server'". FYI, we have the "mounter" service Login account set to the same domain account that we've set up for autologin.

Ditch the drive letters and just use UNCs (forward slashed UNCs, e.g. //server/share/path/file). No need to use up drive letters either...