RE: strange install problems

  Because it's still referred to in an environment variable somewhere?

> Also, I didn't see a /home/$USER ?  Could this be
> because of the problems I listed above?

  It couldn't create the /etc/group or /etc/passwd files, because for some
reason it was trying to do so on the non-existent H drive; this in turn
means that cygwin's notion of what your username and/or group are must be in
a mess; it also suggests that you've got an environment variable which
cygwin is importing and trying to use to set as your home directory or
something.

    cheers,
      DaveK