From: Larry Hall
Sent: Friday, April 09, 2004 9:18 AM
To: Peter A. Castro; cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: Gcc/ld and long command lines (> 32k)

At 12:00 AM 4/9/2004, you wrote:
>On Thu, 8 Apr 2004, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Apr 08, 2004 at 10:07:19PM +0200, Johan Holmberg wrote:
>> >A short description of my enironment:
>> >
>> >- the programs I'm building are C/C++ compilers
>> >
>> >- I use GCC in Cygwin to get a "second opinion" from another compiler
>> >  than the one we use normally (Visual C++).
>> >
>> >- I use Cons as my build tool (a Perl program).
>> >  I use ActiveState Perl (not Cygwin Perl).
>> >
>> >So yes, I'm working "outside a Cygwin environment".
>>
>> Ok, so, sorry, but I wasn't thinking clearly.  The '-X' option to mount
>> only works when a cygwin programs which invoke another cygwin program.
>> If you have a normal windows program running a cygwin program, your only
>> option for a longer command line is (shudder) '@'.
>
>Well, Chris, for better or worst, this "feature" does seem to work.  I
>did a quick test of this using an @file which is 81k long and it works!
>You will need to remount both /usr/bin and /usr/lib with the "--system
>--binary -X" options.  Then put your list of objects into @file and run
>gcc @file.
>For the record, I still feel that a better practice is to do archiving of
>object files and link with the library, but if this gets you going, this
>time, more power to ya.

But wait.  You're mixing advice (Chris's) it seems.  He said @file would
be a solution if you were working outside of Cygwin shells and that
remounting with -X could be a solution if you were inside.  So it sounds
like you tried both, and perhaps together, but it's unclear whether you
ran your tests from a Cygwin shell prompt, a Windows DOS prompt, or both.
Can you clarify what you tried and where?

Thanks,

Holliston, MA 01746