setup.exe problem: fresh install, missing dlls: cygiconv-2.dll, cygintl-2.dll, cygpopt-0.dll etc

I am setting up a new computer which has no network connection, so I use another one to suck the install files onto a usb disk and then use that on the new machine.

I have had similar dependency problems on install in the past; so, for good measure, I select half a dozen mirrors. I do "download from Internet", getting as much stuff as setup.exe sees.

On the new computer I then do "install from local directory", again installing everything. However, during post-install, I get many dialog boxes saying that "the dynamic link library cygiconv-2.dll could not be found in the specified path". I also get plenty more of these alert boxes for cygintl-2.dll. How come, since I installed *everything*? And why didn't setup notice the missing dependencies before attempting to install?

The problem at this stage is that, having failed the post-install, the path is all wrong and the bash command line whose link is on the desktop can't even find ls or other basic utilities.

I go to http://www.cygwin.com/packages/ and discover which packages they come from: libiconv2-1-9.1.3 and libintl2-0.12.1-3. What now? I could install them by hand, but that wouldn't redo the post-install commands that failed because of their absence, so instead I go back to the networked computer, select some more mirrors, let setup churn for a long time, find the two lib* files in the list and so I download them.

Then I go back to the new computer and hopefully install those two libs, plus the entire post-install subtree. No joy: bash still has the wrong path. So I uninstall cygwin, including registry, redo the install completely (churn churn) and.... this time it's two other dlls that are missing, cygpopt-0 and cygreadline5.

Of course I could now add even more mirrors (so far I've got 12 already in my download directory...) in the hope of finally getting those two missing libs. But, since apparently I get no warnings about missing dependencies when I chose what to install, I wouldn't be surprised if after that there were more missing ones.

So the questions:

1) what I'm doing is clearly too complicated and messy to be the intended way of using setup.exe. So please: what is the recommended way of getting and installing everything? (not that I really WANT everything, mind you---I just want enough bits that post-install completes successfully, but I don't know how to get there).

2) assuming I have a half-baked install like the one described above, and assuming that I get all the missing libs one by one by hand from http://www.cygwin.com/packages/ (as opposed to trying to integrate them in the download directory by trying even more mirrors with setup.exe), what is then the correct way of installing those AND THEN having the post-install stuff complete correctly, so that in the end the path and so on is properly configured?

Thanks in advance

Frank (filologo disneyano) http://www-lce.eng.cam.ac.uk/~fms27/