RE: Wishlist additions for setup.exe

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Shish
> Sent: 19 April 2004 15:21
> To: Dave Korn

[Conversation restored to the list address]

> > > o) Cache mirrors.lst and setup.bz2
> > Deep disagreement, about setup.bz2 at any rate.  If you
> ever attempt to do
> > a setup with an out-of-date setup.bz2 file that doesn't
> reflect the true
> > reality of what's actually there at the mirror sites, the
> consequences could
> > be pretty damn awful.
>
> Point taken - but can it really get dangerously outdated in
> the second or so it
> takes me to click "back", change an option, and click "next" again?

  Well, when ever an update to a new version does happen, it only takes an
instant.  Any time that instant is in between downloading the setup file and
using its contents as a guide to what's there, a problem is possible.

  Come to think of it though, I don't know if the cygwin release process
actually tries to ensure that the entire release archive is updated
atomically, so I guess maybe it's just something that already goes wrong
once in a while.  If there's no guarantee that one of the cygwin mirror
sites won't sync itself in between someone uploading a new setup.bz2 to the
main mirror and uploading the packages to which it refers, there's no point
in worrying about a bit of further caching that might occur at the client
end.  OTOH if the cygwin release process involves putting the new packages
up and then atomically updateing setup.bz2 to reflect the new state of the
server, there could be some breakage caused by caching it locally.

> >   Oh, and BTW, the traditional cygwin list response to a
> wishlist is just to
> > reply "PTC!" :)  BWAM!
>
> I'm new here, what's that about? :)

OLOCA! [*]