RE: Cygwin make thinks a statement can be neither true nor false....

Dave,

  "error:" != "error".  You want to use the following
syntax:

  $(error 1 ANYTHING is defined )

  Possibly a bug in make, as I'd expect it to complain
about an undefined function named "error:".  Similar
constructs are also silently ignored:

  $(foo This isn't a valid make function)
  $(bar Neither is this)

-Samrobb