Re: Line breaks in bash

I get the behaviour even if I comment out all the complex PS1 definitions in
/etc/profile.  To see it, open a bash (windows console, I don't know about rxvt)
and resize it to be larger than the 80x25 (mode.com con lines=50 cols=120).
Then type away (at a prompt) and see that the text will wrap at ~80 characters.
Now, export COLUMNS=120.  Same problem.  Now, launch another bash from this
console, and resize it to 120 wide.  Finally, it does the right thing.

So, it seems that COLUMNS needs to match the width of the screen, AND something else that only happens (by default anyways) when a new bash is started.  Maybe
someone else knows what that might be?