System Beep using Cygwin

Hi there,

Let me try this again as I think I have confused some.

We have telnet sessions which we need to beep on some logic error.

Previously, we have made them beep by simply outputing a ^G to make the
bell sound.

This now fails to make a sound under a Cygwin session.

The following can reproduce the symptom.

Telnet into a cygwin session, and run a unix script that contains the
one line:

echo "^G"

We'd expect this to beep - a system bell not a wav file.

We are working on a client (a device or a PC from which we telnet into
the server which is running cygwin).

It may be that the server beeps, thinking it is a console session, when
in fact we have remote session.  Yet we are
echoing the ^G out to the display device, the terminal, so would expect
the terminal to beep.

Perhaps significant is a third-party product is used here.  SL-Net
allows us to telnet into our windows server, to login and
run a cygwin shell, all done so that our software can run in an
environment similar to how we use Unix, even though the server is
Windows 2000.

Kind Regards
Jim Gelasakis