RE: GPL violation ?

<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#YANALATEYHSMBSI> (evil laugh)

>   You can't have a contract without an exchange of something of value.
> Hence the line about "For good and valuable consideration, receipt of which
> I acknowledge".  But *what* consideration?  AFAICS, since nobody's ever been
> paid so much as a wooden nickel for their cygwin contributions, every claim
> to have been in receipt of such consideration is false, and so every single
> one of the supposed contracts is currently in breach and therefore none of
> the assignments are valid.

You do get a T-shirt for filing the assignment, which is intended to cover
all of your subsequent contributions.

>   I'm slightly alarmed to notice this and wonder what the RH legal team have
> to say about it?  I think the RH lawyers may need to spend some time sending
> people peppercorns through the post, along with a letter apologising for the
> late payment!
>
> [ Here are some references for anyone who wants to research this themselves
> a bit:
>
> http://www.google.com/search?q=peppercorn+rent+contract+validity
>
> http://www.google.com/search?q=sufficiency+of+exchange+contract+validity+peppercorn
>
> http://www.encyclopedia4u.com/c/consideration.html
> An illusory promise, or one which the promisor actually has no obligation to
> keep, does not count as consideration. The promise must be real and
> unconditional.
>
> http://law.wustl.edu/Organizations/SBA/Outlines/Contracts%20-%20OUTLINEBIG.htm
> b. Saying there is consideration is not consideration, neither is a seal.
> Nominal consideration which means nothing is not consideration.  ]

In addition to the physical payment of a T-shirt, the developers get the
goodwill of the community, although I don't think this could be counted as
"consideration" under the above definition, no matter how good and
valuable it is.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/