Signal Handling of CYGWIN under VMware Workstation

Folks'es,

i'm using cygwin 1.5.9-1 on Windows NT 4SP6 and W2K, both of which run on top of VMware Workstation 4.5.1 (host system is W2K on a Dell Precision 340).

i have a problem with a database application server (a port from Unix using cygwin): if i shut down the application from a bash/ksh via CTRL+C the application receives the signal but, instead of performing its shutdown procedure, the process dissappears immediately, leaving my DB in an inconsitent state. if i do the same from a DOS cmd, the server process shuts down ok.

i see the same behaviour if i shutdown the process via a 'control panel', which sends the server process a SIGTERM, in 2 out of 3 cases the process stops immediately without performing its proper shutdown.

however, if i run the application incl cygwin on a native system, everything works just fine.

so my question is, what is the connection/difference between VMware and Cygwin signal handling?

thomas

i have written a little test program which demonstrates the behaviour. if i run it in a ksh and hit CRTL+C, the process receives the signal and terminates. if i run it in DOS cmd, the process receives the signal, does its count down and then terminates:

#include "stdafx.h"
#include "signal.h"
#include <windows.h>
#include <stdio.h>

void goHome(int s)
{
   printf("Received signal %d\n", s);
   for (int i = 10; i > 0; i--) {
       printf("Need %2d more seconds to terminate\r", i);
       Sleep(1000L);
   }
   exit(0);
}

int
main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
   signal(SIGINT, goHome);

   printf("Hit Ctrl+C to terminate me\n");
   while (1) {
       Sleep(1000);
   }

   return 0;
}

--
It has never been easier to help someone who suffers from hunger,
and use the web for a good purpose: http://www.thehungersite.com/