This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Cygwin project.
gid and install
- From: David <cupcake at sdf dot lonestar dot org>
- To: "Pierre A. Humblet" <pierre dot humblet at ieee dot org>
- To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
- Cc: cy dot 20 dot superconductor at xoxy dot net
- Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 09:34:37 -0400 (EDT)
- Subject: gid and install
I just downloaded the latest cygwin from planetmirror
but the install fails on my Windows2000. I click on
install and after going through the prompts, it dies.
Probably because I am on a locked down machine where
I cannot write to the registry - in other words,
I cannot be the administrator.
In any event, I get this message: "Changing gid to Users"
and then "Could not open Service control manager."
What I have done in past is install on my home machine,
tar up the cygwin directory, and then untar it onto
my Windows2000 and add bin to the path - which gives me
what I want.
Is there another way to do this?
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html